Saturday, 31 March 2012

Video of the Week - Tywyn Wharf Layout Tour

Okay, so whilst this may seem like a lazy way of making posts, I feel it's a good way to get videos out and noticed. Sadly, YouTube have disabled the function to place someone else's video in your channel so it leaves me with little to no alternatives.

This week's video comes from Adam, better known as TywynWharfOO9. It's a showcase of his layout, which is pretty sweet to say the least. Building a variety of Talyllyn prototypes and a Talyllyn based layout, it just shows how effective modelling in 4mm scale can be.


Friday, 23 March 2012

Red Coaches - Painting Trial

Yesterday I continued working on the first one. At the moment I'm making two composites as I'm still working on the parts to make the brake end. One thing I have noticed is the new ends do stand out by a millimeter or so, but it's not too noticeable.

Not a huge difference, but still adds a bit of length to the body.

As you can see, I got the body into a coat of primer to ensure everything was flush and smooth. My biggest fear was creating something that wasn't identical to the Bachmann end, but it's extremely close.

Quite happy with how it turned out, so I cleaned a few areas and sprayed it again, making sure everything was clean and flush.

After letting it dry, I proceeded with the body paint. Whilst I did buy it for Arthur, I do have a large can of the stuff so I have plenty. Not a 100% match for the TV series, but I prefer it. Reminds me of Midland Railway livery infact.

Few shots to show how it compares to Annie & Clarabel. I've yet to paint the chassis and alter the cab roof.

Just got the other 2 to do to so I can have a rake, then I'll have a nice bespoke set of coaches. Currently working on the other composite, and I should have the brake end done soon.

Any comments, questions and criticism are welcomed!


Wednesday, 21 March 2012

Red Coaches - Composite work.

The Red Coaches, known by their livery, are one of the most demanded items for OO/HO scale. Whilst neither Bachmann or Hornby are quick in making their own, I've decided to go ahead with mine.

I have about 7 Bachmann Annie/Clarabel models I purchased in bulk. The reason for doing so is conversion projects, but I fancy a rake of 3 red coaches, with two composites and one brake. Using 3D printing, I was able to make a near accurate end for the coach, which simply glues on.

It's worth noting that you have to remove the face on the donor model, but it is worth it to get a flush surface. Another thing I've yet to do is modify the roofs, but I shall do this when I have all 3 done.

Hopefully I'll have the duckets and parts for the brake arrive soon, so I can start working on it. I'm rather impressed with how they have printed, as it's far neater than I could have done with plasticard.


Tuesday, 20 March 2012

Confusion & Delay. Literally.

I know you're probably reading this saying to yourself it's another pointless post. If you actually take time to read this, I thank you.

Whilst I try and keep deadlines on modelmaking, it hardly ever works to plan. Sat typing this, juggling between ordering parts I need and designing components for the company, it occured to me that I need to stick to projects I have already started.

Too many builds have been delayed, it's time to rectify that.

Wednesday, 14 March 2012

Arthur - Work commences

Well, I kept this one quiet. On the subject, it's an oddball.

Whilst you could say he was a Standard 3MT on the show, they were never LMS locomotives. Given his livery, I'd put my money on him being an Ivatt 2MT as used by the LMS. That said, I feel the 2MT is far closer to the one on the show.

I bought the donor model a few years ago with the aim of making him, but I guess I wasn't sure on how to go about it. The obvious modification needed was removing the top feed from the boiler, and this thankfully came off with a few scrapes of my trusty scalpel. I then sanded it down and got it smooth, before filling in holes left by the cuts.

The donor also had it's rivets removed, as these are not present on Arthur in the Television series. This meant sanding the roof, boiler and sides to get them flush.

A coat of primer later showed a few imperfections, although these were later sorted out. As he stands now, it's coming along nicely. Some transfer paper has been ordered so I can complete him as a fully accurate TV series model. Posed here with his wooden face, which may be thinned down so it doesn't stick out as much.

That's all for now :)


Tuesday, 13 March 2012

General update and other things

Just writing this from my phone, so excuse the odd spelling mistake or two.

Today i've been planning out the best ways to film models. For years, a permenant layout was on the cards but with the locations I want to film, it would be impossible.

Being of perfect height, the majority of filming will be done on modified decorating tables, strengthened with new tops. Given the size of the models, weight is not a problem.

Speaking of models, I will not be starting any new builds until I have all others out of the way. Green Arrow is a high priority build, so he should be completed soon.

That's all for now.

Saturday, 3 March 2012

Welcome Stafford - Model making

I'm not too keen on the more modern characters that appear on the show, but this one got me interested. Electric locomotives are somewhat interesting to me, and I love them to bits. Stafford, based on a North Staffordshire Railway locomotive, is pleasing to the eye.

I just had to model him. So I've gone and developed a body for 3D printing, which will be on hold until I get the donor chassis I need.

That's all for now, but this is one recent character I'll be happy to do.